Sheffield Parish Churches

Records for the Parish of Sheffield are available from 1560. The Parish church of St Peter and St Paul  (now the Cathedral) had two chapelries – Attercliffe cum Darnall and Ecclesall Bierlow. As the parish grew, the chapelries became establishes churches in their own right, and from each of them, other parishes were created as the need arose.

The original parish registers in most cases can be found in Sheffield Archives, with copies on microfilm being available for many of the churches through the Latter Day Saints Family History Centres around the world. More details regarding the availability of Sheffield Parish registers and the dates covered can be found in The small guide to the parishes in the Sheffield area – published by the Society and available through postal sales. Copies can also be purchased from the Society bookstall at local meeting and fairs.

The Million Act

During the reign of George III (1760 -1820) there became a distinct lack of church accommodation in England. In 1818 a parliamentary grant of £1,000,000 was given for church building to which another £500,000 was added in 1817. From this grant the “Church Building Society” was formed. Including the £1,500,000 granted by parliament a total of around £9,000,000 was spent on the building of new churches and the extension of many others. Grants under the “Million” act were placed in the hands of the church commissioners. Sheffield benefited from the “Million” act with grants being made for the building of four of the town’s largest churches. Christ Church, Attercliffe – 1826, St George’s – 1825, St Mary’s Bramall Lane – 1830 and St Philip’s, Shalesmoor – 1828Details of many other Sheffield churches can be found below.

Details of churches

AllSaints_churchAll Saints’ Brightside

All Siants’ Church, Ellesmere Road, Brightside The parish of All Saints was created from St Thomas’ Brightside in 1869 with the church building being financed by Sir John Brown.

The benefice was suspended in 1972 and the parish became a chapelry under the care of St Cuthbert, Fir Vale.All Saints’ Church was demolished in 1978 and in 1980 a new church – St Peter, Ellesmere (joint Anglican and Methodist) was dedicated.

Records of Baptisms and Marriages began in 1869.


CC_fulwood2Christ Church, Fulwood

Christ Church, Fulwood was built and endowed by Miss Phoebe Silcock at a cost of around £2,200
The first stone was laid on August 16th 1837, with the parish being created in 1839.

The church registers date from 1838 for Baptisms, 1839 for Burials and 1851 for Marriages.


PitsmoorChrist Church, Pitsmoor

The parish was created in 1845 and the Church was erected in 1850.

The church registers date from 1846 for Baptisms, and 1850 for Marriages and Burials.


StanningtonChrist Church Stannington

This church was erected in 1830 as a chapelry to St Mary the Virgin, Ecclesfield.

The parish was created in 1843 from St Mary, Ecclesfield and solemnized for marriages in 1858. For marriages before that date, check St Nicholas’ High Bradfield and St Mary the Virgin, Ecclesfield.

Baptisms and burials date from 1830, marraiges from 1858.


CC WadsleyChrist Church, Wadsley & Hillsbrough

The Parish was created in 1895.
The church was erected in 1902.

The original Registers are held by Sheffield Archives.
Baptisms 1895 – 1972
Marriages 1903 – 1976
Births 1903 – 1983


BrocoBank_churchSt Augustine’s Endcliffe

St Augustine’s church, Broco Bank was errected in 1897
The parish was created in 1898 from All Saints’, Ecclesall and St Mark’s, Broomhill.

Records of Baptisms and Marriages began in 1899


StBarnabus_highfieldSt Barnabas, Highfield

The Church of St Barnabas was consecrated in 1876. The parish was created in 1877 from St Mary Bramall Lane and St Andrew, Sharrow.
The Church was declared redundant in 1988 and was converted into sheltered accommodation.

Baptism date from 1876, and marriages from 1877.


St BernardSt Bernard, Southey Green

St Bernard’s is the Mission Church of St Cecilia, Parson Cross.
Built in 1939.Original Baptism registers are held at Sheffield Archives for 1937 – 1961.

Original Marriage registers are held at the Church for 1964 onwards

Photograph by kind permission of Mr Harry Parker


St CeciliaSt Cecilia, Parson Cross

St Cecilia’s church was built in 1939.
The Parish was created in 1937 from Christ Church, Pitsmoor, St Mary, Ecclesfield & St Mark, Grenoside.

The original registers are held at Sheffield Archives:-
Baptisms 1939 -1974
Marriages 1939 – 1976


St CuthbertSt Cuthbert, Firvale

The Parish of St Cuthbert was created in 1902 from St Thomas, Brightside, Christ Church, Pitsmoor and St Mary, Ecclesfield.
Records of Baptisms and Marriages began in 1902.

Original Records are held at Sheffield Archives

Photograph by kind permission of Mr Harry Parker


Norton_church1St James, Norton

St James, Norton was a Derbyshire parish until 1934.
Records of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials began in 1599.

Original Records are held at Sheffield Archives


St JamesSt James, Sheffield

The church of St James was built on the Parish Glebe in 1789 as a chapel of ease to the Parish Church, at a cost of around £3,000, money which was raised in shares of £50 each. Each £50 share entitled the holder to a pew within the church as his freehold.
The parish of St James was created in 1823.The church was restored in 1877 at a cost of over £1,100.

The Church was bombed in 1940 and then demolished, the parish of St James was abolished in 1948.

The church registers date from 1813 for Baptisms and Burials and 1849 for Marraiges.

For earlier years see records for St Peter & St Paul (Sheffield Cathedral)


St John OwlertonSt John The Baptist, Owlerton

The Parish was created in 1876 from St Phillip’s.
The original Registers are held by Sheffield Archives.
Barptisms 1874 – 1967
Marriages 1876 – 1973

The registers of St John the Baptist also contain entries for soldiers and their families from Sheffield Barracks on Langsett Road.


Ranmoor_ChurchSt John the Evangelist, Ranmoor

The Church of St John the Evangelist was errected in 1879 and rebuilt in 1887 – 1888 after a fire.

The Parish was created in 1879 from St Mark’s Broomhall; Christ Church, Fulwood and St Thomas, Crookes.

Records of Baptisms began in 1879 and Marriages in 1880.


 

StGeorge_portobelloSt George, Portobello

On 16th July 1817 Archbishop Harcourt consecrated a new burial ground lying between Broad Lane and Portobello, then on the outskirts of the town. The site, which cost many hundreds of pounds, lay unused until the building of the Church of St George.
St George’s was the first church to be built under the “Million Pound” act in Sheffield, at a cost of around £15,000, and was able to accommodate around 2,000 worshipers.The first stone was laid on 19th July 1821 by Thomas Sutton the then vicar of Sheffield on the coronation day of King George IV, hence the name St George. The building work was completed in 1825 when the church was then consecrated.

The building was declared redundant in 1981, but the church still stands and is now used by the University of Sheffield

Baptism date from 1825, marriages from 1848 and burials from 1830.
The baptism registers contain entries from baptisms carried out at Jessop Hospital for women and the Sheffield Children’s Hospital, for people from outside the parish.


St LeonardSt Leonard, Norwood

The Parish was created in 1938 from Christ Church, Pitsmoor, St Mary, Ecclesfield.

The original registers are held at the Church.
Baptisms 1929 onwards
Marriages 1941 onwards


bolsterstone2St Mary’s Bolsterstone

The ancient chapel of Bolsterstone was a chapel of ease to St Nicholas’ Bradfield until 1870 when it became a separate parish.

The present church of St Mary was built in 1879, though there has been a succession of churches on this site down through the centuries.

Records of Baptisms and Burials began in 1736, Marriages are recorded from 1868.


StMary_BramallLnSt Mary’s, Bramall Lane

St Mary’s church was built under the “Million Pound” act, at a cost of over £12,500, on a site given by the Duke of Norfolk.
The first stone was laid on 12th October 1826 by the Countess of Surrey, and the church was consecrated on 21st July 1830.St Mary’s originally stood within a spacious burial ground; this has now been greatly reduced in size due to a major road-widening scheme in 1975.

The Church was severely damaged in the Sheffield blitz during world war two. Sadly after the war the church’s interior was not restored to it’s original splendour.

Baptism and burial records date from 1830, marriages from 1848 and burials from 1829.


St Mary EcclesfieldSt Mary’s, Ecclesfield

Records of Baptisms began in 1599, Marriages and Burials are recorded from 1558
Original Records are held at Sheffield Archives

Photograph by kind permission of Mr Harry Parker


WalkleySt Mary’s, Walkley

The Church of St Mary was consecrated im 1869, with the Parish being created from St Philip’s Infirmary Road.

The Burial ground was not consecrated until 1880.

Records of Baptisms began in 1869 and Marriages and Burials are recorded from 1870.


bradfieldSt Nicholas, Bradfield

Built around the 12th century, when visiting priests would stay overnight in the sunken vestry.

This church was originally a chapelry in the parish of St Mary the Virgin, Ecclesfield until 1868 when it became a parish in its own right. Baptisms marriages and burials date from 1559.

A watch house built many years ago to combat body snatchers can be found at the church gates.


StPauls_churchSt Paul’s, Sheffield

Originally built on the outskirts of the town, on land bounded by Pinson Lane (later Pinstone Street) and Alsop Fields (later to become Norfolk Street) The building of St Paul’s Church was funded by public subscription in 1720 and 1721 with the first stone being laid in May 1720.

The Church was not opened for worship as a chapel-of-ease until 1740, due to a dispute over the patronage.
The Church was consecrated on 2nd May 1740 but was used for worship for less than 200 years.Baptism and burial records date from 1743 and those of marriages from 1848. (For marriages before this date see the St Peter and St Paul, Sheffield Cathedral registers)

Peace_gardensBurials in the adjoining church yard ceased in 1855. The Church closed in December 1937 and was demolished in the following year to make was for a new Town Hall extension. Due to the outbreak of war in 1939 the Town Hall extensions were halted and the site of the now demolished St Paul’s Church was laid out as an open garden. Originally given the title of “St Paul’s Garden” it later became known by the people of Sheffield as the “Peace Gardens”.


CathedralSt Peter & St Paul, Sheffield Cathedral

The Cathedral fronts onto Church Street, with Campo Lane to the rear and East Parade and St James Row on either side.

There has been a church on the site of the present church since the early part of the 12th century, although only work from the 15th century onwards can be found in the present building. In 1841 the Church was described in the White’s Trade Directory as being 240 feet long, and 130 feet broad, with a tower in the centre surmounted by a lofty spire. The interior consisted of a spacious nave, with two side aisles and a chancel which was rich in both ancient and modern sculpture – having the tombs of three Earls of Shrewsbury.

Cathedral2In the tower is a peal of 10 bells, a set of chimes and an excellent clock with an illuminated dial. The chimes of the church were installed by Messrs Whitehurst of Derby in 1773 and were replaced in 1798. In 1867 they were arranged to play well know tunes on different days of the week. On Tuesdays it is said that “The Blue Bells of Scotland” rang out and on Wednesdays the bells chimed “The Heavens are Calling”. On Thursdays could be heard “Life, let us Cherish, on Fridays the “104th Psalm” and on Saturdays “Caller Herren”. It is not know for how long each day the bells were rung. As well as the joyous music there was also a mournful “passing Bell” which rang whenever any notable person passed away, the number of strokes of the bell indicated the age and sex of the departed.

The church registers date from 1560. From the 16th to 18th century it was known as Trinity Church, but at the beginning of the 19th century reverted to its original dedication of St Peter and St Paul.

The Church was thoroughly repaired and re-pewed, between 1800 and 1806 (enabling the Church to seat 3,000 persons) with further extensive alteration and restoration work being carried out in 1878-80. It became the Cathedral Church in 1913. The burial grounds were closed in 1855. There are 34,186 records of burials between 1813 and 1855.


StPhilips_churchSt Philip’s Shalesmoor

St Philip’s church was built under the “Million Pound” act, at a cost of over £11,000, with the first stone being laid on 26th September 1828 on land given by Mr R Gell.

The church was consecrated in 1828 and was capable of seating 2000 worshipers.

Baptism records date from 1828, marriages from 1848 and burials from 1829.

St Philip’s churchyard was famous as the scene of many body snatchings over the years. The church finally closed in 1940 and was demolished around 1951.


St PolycarpSt Polycarp, Malin Bridge

The Parish was created in 1933 from Wadsley, St Mary, Stannington, St John, Walkley and Owlerton

The original registers are held at Sheffield Archives:
Baptisms 1920 -1977
Marriages 1934 – 1991


Wadsley_churchWadsley Church

This church was originally a chapel in the parish of Ecclesfield, and was built in 1834. Wadsley became a separate parish in 1857.
Baptisms date from 1834, marriages from 1857 and burials from 1835.

The burial register from 1872 includes entries from the South Yorkshire Lunatic Asylum.