Sheffield Archives holds microfilm copies of the 1841 – 1881 censuses for the Sheffield area. In addition to this copies purchased by the Society of the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses for Sheffield and Rotherham on microfiche are also housed at Sheffield Archives.
There are some surname indexes available on microfiche only. These were completed by members of the society many years ago and are available only at Sheffield Archives, Sheffield Local Studies and via the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (you will probably have to order them if you are outside the Sheffield area). These cover the following areas only:
- 1841 – Sheffield (Please note – it is NOT the extent of modern Sheffield – please see the information about the registration districts for more details of the area covered by this) (1841 Sheffield Index searchable online – Compiled and Hosted by the Sheffield Indexers)
- 1851 – Sheffield, Ecclesfield and Bradfield (Society Sheffield 1851 Index Searchable Online – ongoing project)
- 1861 – Sheffield, Ecclesfield and Rotherham (Also available to purchase from the society on CD Rom)
- 1871 – Sheffield and Wortley
- 1881 – Yorkshire
- 1891 – Sheffield, Bradfield (Also available to purchase from the society on CD Rom)
Census surname indexes on paper: 1841 – Ecclesfield and Bradfield 1861 – Bradfield Street indexes are available for the Sheffield enumeration districts for 1841 – 1891.
Please note that if you are planning to visit Sheffield Archives it is advisable to book a fiche/film reader in advance.