Transcription of marriages conducted at this Anglican parish church that served the densely populated area of Ellesmere in North East Sheffield. The parish was formed from St Thomas Brightside and the building paid for by Sir John Brown, owner of the Atlas Steel Works, who was worried that his workforce was drifting to the Methodists. The tall blackened spire of the neo-Gothic church could be seen from across the city until it was demolished in 1978.
Baptism and Marriage Records
Transcriptions of baptisms and marriages in a range of Sheffield parish churches and non-conformist chapels.
Transcriptions of marriages conducted at this parish church in south Sheffield
Full transcriptions of 6,472 baptism records of nine Primitive Methodist Chapels: Abbeydale Chapel (1895-1946), Bethel Chapel Intake (1887-1945), Bethel Chapel Woodhouse (1943-1951), Coleford Road Methodist Church Darnall (1934-1962), Grimesthorpe Road Chapel (1935-1972), Jenkin Road Chapel Brightside (1853-1956), Nether Lane Chapel Ecclesfield (1876-1939, St Andrew Ann’s Road Heeley (1884-1976) and West End Church Stocksbridge (1875-1974). The content of the records varies but usually includes name and DOB of child, names of parents, father’s occupation and address.
Full transcriptions of 6,741 baptism records of nineteen United Methodist and United Free Methodist Chapels: Bradway Chapel Bradway (1872-1881), Brunswick United Methodist Free Church Lopham Street Burngreave (1922-1968), Deep Pits Chapel City Road (1920-1957), Firmount Chapel Cundy Street Walkley (1866-1954), Frederick Street United Methodist Church Darnall (1871-1957), Hunsley Street Free Methodist Chapel Grimesthorpe (1891-1949), Handsworth (later Wesleyan), Chapel Handsworth Road Woodhouse (1851-1893), Hanover Chapel Filey Street Broomhall (1852-1988), Eckington United Methodist Free Chapel Eckington (1869-1921), Montgomery Chapel Nether Edge (1867-1964), Oak Street Chapel Heeley (1872-1948), Pye Bank Chapel Pitsmoor (1882-1947), Spa View Chapel Hackenthorpe (1863-1992), St. Paul’s Methodist Church Woodhouse (1881-1945), Surrey Street (1858-1956), Valley Road United Methodist Church Heeley (1898-1943), West Street Methodist Chapel Beighton (1868-1891 1916-1970), Weston Street Chapel Crookesmoor (1861-1964), and Woodhouse (later Wesleyan), Chapel Woodhouse (1893-1935). The content of the records varies but usually includes name and DOB of child, names of parents, father’s occupation and address.
Full transcriptions of 3,127 baptism records of seven Methodist New Connexion Chapels: Bow Street Chapel (1828-1834), High Greave Chapel Ecclesfield (1902-1988), Owlerton Methodist Church (1879-1963), Potter Hill Chapel Ecclesfield 1858-1964), Scotland Street Chapel (1795-1966), South Street Chapel (1860-1912) and Talbot Street Chapel (1862-1962). The content of the records varies but where recorded includes name of child, DOB/age, parents’ names, father’s occupation, address, name, occupation and parish of residence of mother’s father.