Wakefield HMP commital to, by Sheffield city

Welcome Forums Sheffield Local History Wakefield HMP commital to, by Sheffield city

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Angela 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

mick holmes
    Participant

Found a record for Thomas Hydes  in WakefieldHMP who was comtted by  “Sheffield City” for “Desertion of Family” for Two Weeks. In January 1905, Question is how can I find the record of Sheffield city ‘s dealing with this. Was it a family court.? Did Thomas turn up ? Who is the other party  “the victim” was it his then wife Mary Elizabeth .nee Kirk . If so this was my father! Diferent surname ,another story.

Angela
    Participant

Mick.

Sheffield Petty Sessions would deal with this and the records are available at Sheffield archives. I’ll see if I have anything as we are just indexing the petty sessions.

I have found a record. Reference MC/2/22…..Thursday 5 January 1905.

Complainent. Allen Dearden, Board of Guardians. Ecclesall.

Defendent: Thomas Hides. Deserting family wife and child.

This implies that the wife and child where in the workhouse.

Angela

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  Angela.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  Angela.

mick holmes
    Participant

Evening Angela, Once again you have come up trumps . It could be my father as in 1905 he was living with an Emily Dennison in Tunbridge Wells, 1901 census as Jack Holmes, 1911 as John t Holmes. His first wife Mary Elizabeth Nee Kirk was living in Sheffield with her son Douglas b.1903 .

Is there  a record of Mary E and son Douglas recorded in the workhouse in 1904/5. This would confirm his relationship. In 1911 census Douglas is shown living with his GM, Fanny.

As a point of interest the 1901 census made me understand why my mother always called him “jack” when I knew his name as John Thomas!

kindest regards Mick Holmes

Angela
    Participant

Mick.

There is a newspaper report which states that his wife and son were living with a cousin until they went into the workhouse.

Thomas was supposedly working away from home

The Ecclesall Bierlow workhouse admission registers have been transcribed by us and this is what I found.

Ref NHS/21/5/6/1 page 87.
    5 Dec 1904..HIDES Mary E date of birth 23 May 1877. wife.
    5 Dec 1904..HIDES Douglas. date of birth 28 May 1902.

Their last address is given as 7court 5 house Trafalgar St.

There might be more information in the actual register we only compiled an index.

Try this Mick…atreweek@hotmail.com

Angela

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Angela.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Angela.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Angela.

mick holmes
    Participant

Angela, tried sending email to editor @sheffieldfhs .org.uk and it was returned  “user unknown”. Email was for request to send email of news paper article.

mick holmes

Angela
    Participant

Mick
    When did you try as my email was down last weekend.?

If you give me your email I can send it. I can then delete your email.

Angela

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Angela.

mick holmes
    Participant

I tried it again 5 minutes ago and it failed again same reason  I will ask my neighbour to checkitoet as he is the expaert.. I must be doing something wrong.

mick holmes

KenofNorwich
    Participant

I hope I am not hijacking someone else’s post but was interested in what Angela said about indexing workhouse admissions. Could I be cheeking and ask Angela if there is anything for a Henry Mitchell, born 1805 who was in a workhouse in 1901? Thanks.

Angela
    Participant

I have found your Henry Mitchell in Brightside Bierlow Workhouse in 1901. This was know as Fir Vale Workhouse and later became the Northern General Hospital. The admission records for this workhouse were destroyed in WW2 due to enemy action.

Only the Ecclesall Bierlow admission records exist (Nether Edge Hospital)

Angela

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.