Marriage of Robert Wildsmith and Maria Derry

Welcome Forums General Family History Marriage of Robert Wildsmith and Maria Derry

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wilerbob 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

wilerbob
    Participant

Hi all I am striving to establish further details of this couple whom it appears immigrated to New Zealand in about 1876 immigration records state that they both are from derbyshire. I beleive Robert may have been born in Belper? not confirmed as yet.

Angela
    Participant

Hi.

The marriage took place at Sheffield parish church of SS Peter & Paul (later cathedral) The certificate image is on FindMyPast.

17 May 1875 Robert Wildsmith aged 26 a Bachelor. Occupation Farmer of Spital Hill. Father: Joseph Wildsmith a Farmer.

Maria Derry aged 32 a Widow of Spital Hill. Father Thomas Newton a Farm labourer.

Her previous marriage was in the June Q of 1865 to Frederick Derry registered in Belper Vol 7B Page 694. This was at Duffield parish Church (Image available on Ancestry)

19 June 1865 Frederick Derry aged 21 a Labourer of Windley. Father: Thomas Derry. deceased.

Maria Newton aged 23 Spinster of Windley. Father: Thomas Newton. Deceased.

I cannot find a death for Frederick Derry between 1865 and 1875 when she married Robert Wildsmith. Although Robert states that his father was Joseph on the Sheffield marriage certificate, I am only coming up with a father George Joseph on the census. I am wondering now if Maria’s second marriage was bigamous and that is why they married in Sheffield.

Angela

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Angela.

wilerbob
    Participant

Hi Angela:

Thanks for the data. In records I have him as Robert William son of George Joseph with family ties to farms in the Morley Park area around Heage or Belper. His elder sibling  Joseph had two sons whom both immigrated to Australia ,George Joseph 2nd to Sydney and Willoughby to Kalgoorlie in West Australia both have descendants residing downunder. AS for Robert and Maria they were recorded in the 1886 census living in Canterbury NZ. However they appear to have vanished so your theory  re Maria’s bigamous marriage may prove to be correct. I will research the Aust family’s to try and establish if there has been any contact between Robert and his nephews

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.