Arthur James Walkden

Welcome Forums Family and Local History Events Arthur James Walkden

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KenofNorwich 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Brenda Green
    Participant

Hello – I am new to the Forum and am looking for a connection to Arthur James Walkden born 1896, Swadlincote.

He died December 1948 at Nunnery Colliery as a result of hanging.

I do have information regarding census returns; military service; marriage etc, but would like to make contact with someone who may remember him and his family.

Many thanks.

Tony Beardshaw
    Participant

Hi Brenda,

Welcome to the forum. Have you checked the 1939 register to see where he was living in 1939. It might be he was in the same place in 1948.

Where was Nunnery Colliery?

Tony

Angela
    Participant

The Nunnery Colliery occupied the land from Woodbourn Road up to and past The Makro.

Burial Arthur J Walkden aged 55 a labourer

Died at Nunnery Colliery. Buried Dec 14 1948 (general  ground)

Section KK grave no 107 Burngreave cemetery.

This appears to be a common grave as the other 5 burials all have different surnames.

Angela

Brenda Green
    Participant

Many thanks for the replies Tony and Angela.

Yes, in 1939 there is an Arthur J Walkden registered in the Luton & Dunstable hospital.  His birth date is shown as 15 May 1894.

However I have copy of birth cert showing date as 15 May 1896.

This is such a strange coincidence that I am assuming it is the same person.

He had three sisters and two brothers.  I feel there must be people in the area who know something of this man.  Where are they?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Brenda Green.

KenofNorwich
    Participant

DoBs on the 1939 register are notoriously wrong. I don’t think they took too much trouble over them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.